At uShaka Sea World we are always looking for volunteers to assist us in a variety of areas. In the aquarium, volunteers assist aquarists in the daily tasks required to ensure that our animals get the best care possible. In addition to making a difference and gaining experience, you will also meet new friends and help us in our valuable conservation work.
If you are thinking about applying to become a volunteer in the aquarium, we encourage you to take a look at the following information before submitting your application.
What are the requirements for becoming a volunteer?
Please apply only if you live in the greater Durban area and are available on week days. We regret that we do not accept volunteers for holiday periods.
Responsibilities will include:
- Working in the aquarium and back-of-house areas
- Food preparation
- Cleaning of exhibits/tanks and back-of-house areas
- Feeding of animals under the direction of full-time staff
Providing general assistance to the aquarists.
- Will not be paid
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must be able to swim confidently
- Must complete the training sessions
- Must commit to volunteering for at least one year
- Must live in the greater Durban area (between Amanzimtoti, Pietermaritzburg and Umhlanga)
- Must be healthy and physically fit
- Are required to abide by company rules.
Please note that interaction with the animals cannot be guaranteed.
If you are interested in volunteering at uShaka Sea World please read the volunteer information leaflet and download the application form . Once completed, email this form to Karin Fivaz or fax to 031 328 8188.