- Coastal zone management
- Coastal processes
- Geographic Information Systems
- Determination of coastal set-back lines for KwaZulu-Natal
- Overview of the KwaZulu-Natal coast
- Development of a coastal management programme for KwaZulu-Natal
- Assessment of historical land cover change around estuaries
KZN Department of Agriculture and Environmental Affairs
- Goble, B.J. and Mackay, C.F. 2013. Developing risk set-back lines for coastal protection using shoreline change and climate variability factors. Proceedings 12th International Coastal Symposium (Plymouth, England), Journal of Coastal Research, Special Issue, 65, pp. 2125-2130.
- Goble B.J. and van der Elst, R. 2013: Trends in coastal development and land cover change: The case of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. WIOJMS, in press.
- Palmer B.J., Van der Elst, R., Mackay, F., Mather, A.A., Smith, A.M., Bundy, S.C., Thackeray, Z., Leuci, R. and Parak, O. 2011: Preliminary coastal vulnerability assessment for KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa, Journal of Coastal Research, Special Issue 64, 1390-1395.
- Palmer B., van der Elst, R, and Parak, O. 2011: Understanding our Coast: A synopsis of KwaZulu-Natal’s coastal zone. KwaZulu-Natal Department of Agriculture and Environmental Affairs, Cedara, Pietermaritzburg, 32pp.
- Palmer B.J., Hill T.R., McGregor G.K. and Paterson A.W., 2011: Using the DPSIR Framework to Assess Coastal Development and Land Use Change, Journal of Coastal Management, 39, 158 – 174.
- Palmer B.J., McGregor G.K., Hill T.R. and Paterson A.W., 2010: A spatial assessment of coastal development and land use change in the Eastern Cape, South Africa, South African Geographical Journal, 92, 117 – 128.